Thursday, August 24, 2006

When we were young

A guest blogger, Haryati at Mr BR's blog yesterday brought back many sweet memories to the readers. The number of comments left behind by readers including myself is evidence of it.

Just a thought, Does anyone reckon that we are experiencing a 'Generation Gap'? We have reached a certain point in our lives where were grew up with the technology. While our parents grew up when technology was still 'premature' and our young ones have the techonolgy placed for them to enjoy.


Generation Gap is a popular term used to describe wide differences in cultural
norms between members of a younger generation and their elders. This can be
defined as occurring "when older and younger people do not understand each other
because of their different experiences, opinions, habits and behaviour." from
wikipedia



Anonymous commented,

aww the good all days!!And this is also why there
are more overweight children nowadays...its worrying really. So parents out
there, do let your kids go out and play. They are more to life than just
studying. Let your kids explore the world. :)


It does not seem as easy as it sounds I assume. I am not married yet, therefore have no children but I do have young siblings, a 7 year old girl and her younger brother 'Bungsu' is 5. They are the ones who get spoiled by my parents because there are so many things available now. Even I spoil them sometimes.
But we make sure that they do not just stay indoors and study. I sometimes teach my younger brother to play football and he wants to learn to play golf because he saw me practice my swings at home. *smiles* I buy them toys and books because I want them to do better than the rest of us in my family. My 5 year old brother is in Kg2 at a private school in Bandar and he sits for monthly tests and exams already. I so kesian him. Plus they are both hooked on PS2 games. Even more surprising both of them know how to switch the PC on and off and they know which sites to visit to play on-line games. Their elder sister thought them. Once in a while I do look at what they are doing and it is very interesting that they learn how to play them game themselves and they hate to lose.

I agree with 'there is more to life than just studying' because life is about trial and error. If at first one does not succeed, try and try and try again. No retreat No surrender. One cannot simply read about how a cut on a finger feels without accidentally cutting ones finger. True??



We had our taste of video games with the likes of 2D graphics such as Atari, Sega and Nintendo. But we were different because it came in the later stages of our childhood, for those born in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

My cousins and I grew up together at our grandparents house and I have vague memories about our early adventures but thanks to my grandparents, my parents, my uncles and aunties to tell us stories about how silly we were with our frolics and 'fights'.



Indeed we fought alot when we were young - influence of WWF - idolising Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, The Ultimate Warrior and many others. Performing our pile-driver, sleeper holds and all sorts of WWF moves we acquired. My brothers and I would save some of our school money so that we could borrow video tapes of Wrestle Mania from 'DeeJay' at the old PGGMB building.


Heros such as Superman and BatMan fascinated us. I have a picture of my elder borther in his Batman costume and myself in the Robin costume and we would imagine we would catch the bad guys played by our cousins. How I wished we had videotaped ourselves so we could laugh at ourselves now. But video cameras were so expensive back then.

We did not need video games to entertain us, we were like wild animals trying to survive in the wild. We had to adapt to our surroundings, make use of what ever toy or thing and imagine it to be something powerful. Like we would take out a few of the 'penyapu lidi' and pretend to be musketeers.

"Unguard!! All for One and One for All"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man.. ultimate warrior used to be my hero dulu.. running around the ring like a mad man.. did you he legally changed his real name to "warrior" - mr warrior

Zul-Fadly said...

He changed his name? Wow... He must have loved his fame so much he wanted to die with it as well... I'll try to look it up... thanks r&al