Friday, August 25, 2006

Randomness

Greetings,

I came across a new blog from KHY's blog. If you need a problem solver please click [here] to find out more. I would like to think of it as Brunei's on-line 'Aunt Agony'.

Champions League places, click [here], were drawn yesterday in Monaco. Some old foes meet again in the group stages, Chelsea and Barca in group A. I think Liverpool and Arsenal will be happy with their respective groups. Man Utd will be in Group F with Celtic now managed by former Man Utd legend, Gordon Strachan.

On RA.com is a picture which cracked me up, which he took from his friends site. I think if 'Datuk A' replaced 'Datuk K', Siti would not know the difference. *Rofl* Click [here] for the remarkable resemblance.

Proof of the powerful effects of Globalisation - an article in the BB today pg 38 - Denglisch is here to stay - gives insights about how English has penetrated into Germany. Denglisch is like many other evolving languages around the world; Singlish, Manglish, Brulish are regional examples of how globalisation has affected the everyday language that we use.

Stated in the article was also about how France passed a law meant to suppress Franglais in 1994 by banning the use of foreign words in work contracts, public announcements, advertising and on radio and television. Another interesting thing the article touched on was Globish - a simplified version of English.

English is the most learned language in the world but not the most spoken language. Chinese or Mandrin is the most spoken language spoken in the world due to the 1.3 billion people living in The People's Republic of China.

It is my profession to try and teach young Bruneians how to pick up the language. One way is for me to try and remember how I started to pick up the language? Was it my early exposure to English because my parents sent me to a private school? Was it because my best friend in school was pakistani and he could only speak English to converse with me? Was it because I wanted to impress girls back in my 'young' man years?

My students vary from 'very good' to 'need help'. They understand the importance to try to grasp the language for their future. But yet they are indolent to make any effort to improve.

To be continued....

No comments: