Friday, July 28, 2006

Soul Konekshen - The 411

Greetings,

Most people would name their blogs after their own names or nick names. Some would use a diferent title to remain anonymous.

My blog title is a "malay-ised" spelling of the word 'Connection'.

Soul Connection is actually a name of a concert that JPCC Reality and myself organised back in October of 2003. Exactly a month before my 23rd birthday.

The concert took place at JPCC Amphitheater. With the help of my friend 'Datuk' I managed to bring over 'V.E.' and 'Innuendo'. Two massive RnB groups from Malaysia to perform in Brunei for a special nite of Soul.

We put up posters in KB, Tutong and Brunei Muara weeks in advance before the concert. We also had Pelangi network, where I used to work as a broadcaster, to promote the concert via tickets give away.

My team consisted of my cousins - AzBoy, Erminem, Ajeem and my younger bro - Tenno and also my Unlce Agee. A late addition was Dellz who volunteered his ride and computer expertise to be part of the team.

I did the paper work and planning and made sure everything went according to plan and ran smoothly.

The opening acts for the concert was Zul, now the recording artist and winner of P2F - Zul F, Zara - I don't know where she is now and also the accapella group 'Crescendo'.

Both groups were to perform in Brunei for the first time and for Innuendo it was a supposed reunion concert for them and also the final time they were going to perform in a concert. Now that is special. I felt honoured to be the one to have them perform here.

Originally it was V.E and RuffEdge but by that time RE had signed to EMI and any concert performance was to go through their record label and that would mean 'mega dosh' and I only had just enough 'dosh'.

So I requested for Innuendo and they came down here willingly. Those who went to MD in '97-98' would remember 'Belaian Jiwa' as it was, I figure, our song in MD that time. Everyone knew the song and I listened to the whole album over and over again. I remember every single song.
To meet Taj, Remy and Pot was a dream come true.

The EmCee was Edris - V.E's manager and Hussein - Now member of RE replacing Mode.

The concert was great. The turnout could have been better had it not been for 'AF'. I had a wonderful time singing along to the songs and all. Even to see them practice was breathtaking. Amazing.

I miss those days. I am good friends with them now. We still keep in touch.

This concert was something I will always cherish and this concert has taught me to be more mature and responsible. They day after the concert V.E, Taj, Edris and Hussein went to KK for a gig at the Beach Club and I was invited to come along. Kinda like my vacation after my hard work. I had so much fun and we hooked up with RuffEdge at KK.

Funny thing happened during the gig. I was sitting at the VIP area where RE and VE were sitting as they took turns to perform. Then fans were allowed inside the area in small groups. A bunch of girls asked for my signature as well thinking I was one of the singers. *ROFL* This is true and I kid you not. The guys played along and said 'Yeah, he's one of us hahahaha'

So my dear reader, this is why this blog is called Soul Konekshen. The Concert - Soul Connection is something I hold dear to my heart and will always remember because this was my project, my baby and I made it happen with the help of so many people.

Thank you so much if I forgot to say it before.

This is the write up for the concert for a site which I dunno if it still exist or not, musicpaperbag.net

Soul - the personification of evoking a deep feeling of emotion. 18th
october 2003 witnessed another history in the Brunei Entertainment Scene when
for the first time ever saw two R'n'B acts from KL, 'VE - Voices of Euphonious'
and their mentors and pioneers of R'n'B in Malaysia, the legendary 'Innuendo'
flew down to feed da hungry R'n'B souls for 'SOUL CONNECTION'. Local flava
opened the glorious event starting with B'Style, Crescendo, Zara and Zul. No
doubt with these talented flavaz Brunei's Music Scene looks very bright. But
came on VE with hits like Touch, Kiss, Hug, Love and Ayu and melted the many who
came. Innuendo came on and that old school feeling of the yesterday's warmed a
many. Hmmm... All this would not be possible if it were not for the organizers,
new into the scene, Tambak RyThemz collaborating with JPCC Reality. May your
Souls be filled... For Now =)

No comments: